Q: Does Fempress Fit have Covid-19 Cleaning Protocols:
A: Yes: Fempress Fit: Cleaning Protocols
Fempress will continue to maintain its high level of cleanliness. In addition, the studio will be cleaned before and after each class with rigorous cleaning protocols and EPA – registered disinfectants which are determined to be effective in killing the COVID-19 virus in less than one minute.
Modified Class Hours
Fempress will be modifying class times from 75 minutes to 60 minutes to accommodate cleaning protocols in between each class.
Students are not allowed to bring their own towels. Towels will be provided by Fempress and discarded between each class. Towels will be cleaned on a daily basis.
Students will be provided with hand sanitizer prior to each class and prior to entering the studio. The hand sanitizer kills up to 99.9% of germs and includes at least 60% ethyl alcohol. Students are also encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer.
Students are required to use disinfectant wipes and/or sanitizer on poles and lyras before and after use in addition to Fempress’ cleaning protocols.
Students are required to complete a COVID-19 waiver and release in the Fempress Fit App prior to attending class. In addition, students are required to have their temperature taken prior to entering the studio. Per CDC guidelines, students with a body temperature greater than 100.4 degrees, or local guidelines, will not be permitted entry into the club.
Students shall alert the studio if they test positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of their last visit to the studio. Fempress will notify any potentially exposed students if there is a confirmed case.
Students must wear a face covering when entering the building and the studio.
If students travel outside of Chicago, students shall be required to self-quarantine for 14 days in accordance with local health mandates.
Q: Are there classroom policies I need to follow?
Classroom Policies and Safety Rules
- Our environment is safe, supportive, and nourishing. Please refrain from making any negative comments, or exhibiting any negative attitudes towards yourself, or other students. We hope that all students will openly encourage and compliment each other. Negative words or behavior will not be tolerated in our space.
- No pictures or videos may be taken in classes without instructor and participant permission. If any students agree to be photographed, or recorded by another student or visitor, such agreement is solely at their own discretion and risk. Fempress is not responsible for where those pictures or videos end up.
- Cell phones are allowed, but please step out of the classroom to make, or receive calls during class.
- Please abstain from loud, disruptive behavior such as loud laughing, excessive talking, or general goofing-off during our classes; as these behaviors can interfere with student learning.
- No refunds or credits will be issued to students who drop out of class at any time, or who miss any classes for any reason.
- Unless specifically arranged and agreed to on a case-by-case basis, we do not offer make-up classes.
- Students are expected to call the main number if they cannot attend class. Do NOT use text messaging to cancel a class or session. Email is only acceptable if canceling with 24-hours’ notice. A cancellation through our Mind and Body scheduling system is the only acceptable means of cancellation and should be done within 4 hours of the scheduled class time.
- Classes and prices are subject to change without notice.
- Each student gives Fempress the right and valid authorization to charge student’s credit card(s) for any fees incurred by Fempress due to student’s credit card being invalid, expiring, and/or for any charge backs. If student’s credit card expires and/or is invalid, student shall provide a valid credit card within 24 hours of Fempress’ request. Student is liable for any and all fees incurred by Fempress.
- We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.
- Punch cards are non- transferable.
- We have implemented a new 24-hour cancellation policy: If you book a class, it is yours!
- You may cancel 24 hours beforehand. If you cancel, it will automatically go to the first person on the waiting list. If you cancel within the 24-hour period, you will be charged for the class. Please note: NO REFUNDS
- Classes that end up with fewer than 2 students in attendance will be shortened by 15 minutes will be considered Open Practice time and will not include any additional curriculum. This Open Practice time will not include new material, moves, or instruction.
- No alcohol consumption is allowed before class. If you smell of alcohol, or are deemed to be acting erratically, you will be asked to sit the class out, or to leave, with no refund or credit given.
- No gum, candy, or other solid foods are allowed during class.
- Stay hydrated with frequent water intake before and after each class.
- Students will not come to class with oils or lotions applied to their skin; as this is a safety hazard to others sharing the equipment.
- Students shall not wear perfumes, or other types of scents to class; as other students may be allergic to these products.
- Students must remove all body jewelry on hands, wrists, feet, ankles, or midsection to avoid injury. Likewise, all piercings must be either removed, padded, or covered.
- Students will stop dancing at the first sign of fatigue, injury, or discomfort. Do not push yourself.
- These classes are not designed for pregnant women. You may not participate in classes if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant. Please let us know immediately if you find out that you are pregnant.
- Students may not use the poles or other apparatus if an instructor is not in the room.
- Students will not attempt any moves that they have not been instructed on in Fempress classes.
- Students may not assist, or instruct other students about moves during class, or on Fempress premises.
- Students are responsible for notifying instructors of any injuries sustained during the week at the beginning of each class, and will immediately notify instructor of any injury or strain that may arise during class.
- Any students who have injuries or health conditions must obtain and submit a medical release form prior to starting, or continuing any class, activity, or program.
- Students MUST participate in the warm up activities at the beginning of each class.
- All valuables should either be left at home, locked in your car, or locked up in lockers—if available.
- All personal belongings must be kept out of the way when in the classroom—to avoid injury or mishap.
- Pole instructors and students aspiring to become instructors are welcome, but must disclose their status, and sign a non-compete contract.
- Any student who blatantly or repeatedly refuses to adhere to these policies will be asked to leave, will not be allowed to return, and will receive NO form of refund or credit.
Any student who blatantly or repeatedly refuses to adhere to these policies will be asked to leave, will not be allowed to return, and will receive NO form of refund or credit.
Q: What is Pole Dance Fitness?
A: Pole dancing is an artform and exercise in which a dancer performs acrobatic moves on a fixed metal pole that is used to support them, and as an instrument upon which to move their bodies.
Q: Is the pole safe?
A: The pole is very safe. It is a vertical metal instrument that is securely attached to both the floor and ceiling.
Q: How do I know if Pole is suitable for me?
A: Most people can learn how to use the pole. It is a fitness technique that caters to all ages, body types and fitness levels. Classes range from beginner to advanced. In the beginner classes, you learn how to strengthen and prepare your body while you become accustomed to the movements. As you work your way up to more advanced levels, your body’s strength and fitness levels will advance with you.
Q: Do you offer classes for kids, tweens, or teens?
A: While pole is an exercise that can be done by anyone, the theme of sensuality and self-empowerment, through what is thought of as a burlesque style, is not suitable for students under the age of 18.
Q: Can men participate, or are your classes only for women?
A: We try to be all inclusive, but since our mission is to empower and encourage women in a body positive and safe-space atmosphere, we do not allow men in classes. If there is enough interest, we would consider an all-male class, or private lessons for men.
Q: I have no upper body strength. Will I be able to do Pole?
A: Not a problem. Our job is to get you stronger quickly. We will help you gain the strength and fitness required, and teach you everything you need to know to become stronger in your upper body, your core, and the rest of your body.
Q: Do I need to be a trained dancer or gymnast to participate in classes or events?
A: Anyone of any background can participate. Students of all shapes, sizes, ages, and ability levels are encouraged to join. If you are a beginner you will slowly work your way up; while having fun learning and gaining strength and agility. If you do come from a dance or gymnastics background, you might be surprised to find it still challenging and exhilaratingly nothing like what you have done before.
Q: What is the atmosphere like?
A: Our studio caters to the empowerment, celebration and comfort of the women who participate with us. Our Fempire is more than just a place to exercise. It is a safe space where we can celebrate ourselves, and each other. We keep it free from negativity, and always positively uplift each other. We are a fitness studio and a clubhouse. FEMPRESS is a place to build strong bodies and strong, loyal, trusting relationships with fellow students and staff. We strive constantly to provide a nurturing, caring, supportive, energetic, fun and healthy atmosphere.
Q: How is this different than exotic dancing?
A: It is very different. While many exotic dancers incorporate pole into their work, that does not make Pole Dance something meant only for their venues. Pole Dancing is a form of acrobatic style dance and fitness that teaches women to reconnect with their sensual sides; while using their bodies to perform intelligently designed movements based on principles founded in ballet, Pilates, sensual dance, gymnastics, and other practices that rely on the strength and beauty of the feminine form. Pole Dancing championships are carried out worldwide, and you will find varieties of pole and other aerial dance routines in large scale entertainment such as Cirque du Soleil, music award shows, and televised talent and dance competitions.
Q: Is there stripping involved?
A: No nudity is ever permitted. However, some of our classes do incorporate some level of strip-tease in which a layer or two of clothing is peeled off (always optional) while learning to reveal a more seductive, sensual sense of movement, and body awareness in your dancing.
Q: What should I wear to class?
A: Comfy and lightly layered yoga, or dance clothing that is easy to move in, and that you can sweat in. It is best to wear shorts and short sleeved shirts for pole work. We usually work out in bare feet. Advanced classes often include industry standard 6” (or higher) heels that are a specific kind/style (do not bring your own unless pre-approved by FEMPRESS). No street shoes are allowed inside the studio space. For aerial skills and yoga classes, your underarms must be covered. Do not wear any perfumes, oils, or lotions on your hands or body. Jewelry must be removed—especially on the hands, wrists and ankles.
Q: Are your instructors certified?
A: Our instructors are certified fitness professional who have gone through industry standard accredited programs. They are all also certified in safety, basic first aid, and CPR. They keep their skills and learning material up-to-date by doing continuing education both on-site, and off. They keep up on the latest industry practices and techniques with ongoing training on trick-instructions, spotting techniques, and safety practices.
Q: What are the class sizes?
A: We limit our classes and programs to between 4 and 10 students—depending on the activity. We keep class sizes small, so that every student knows their instructor, and so that the instructor can watch every student like a mother hawk to ensure both safety, and learning of proper technique.
Q: Do I need to register, or can I just show up for a class on a drop-in basis?
A: We do not accept walk-in students. You need to register online for the classes you want. Classes fill up quickly at FEMPRESS, so you are encouraged to sign up as soon as possible for the classes you would like to attend. If the classes show as full, please add your name to the waitlist. 99% of the time, you will end up getting into the class you want. If you are on the waitlist, and get in to the class, you will receive an email confirmation no later than 1 hour prior to the class that you are waitlisted for.
Q: Is there a changing room in the studio? Showers?
A: There is a restroom where you can change your clothes. We also have lockers to store your personal items while taking classes, please bring a lock. There are NO showers on premises.
Q: What else should I know?
A: Leave your jewelry at home. You will not be allowed to wear it in any of the aerial classes, pole, hammocks or lyra. You must also TURN OFF YOUR MOBILE PHONE. This is something that is rigorously enforced in all classrooms and gyms. If you need to make, or take, a call please inform the instructor, and excuse yourself from the studio space while you use your phone.